It is almost time to place your orders for the new Presbyterian hymnal. Every PC(U.S.A.) congregation and institution was mailed a letter containing the following information about hymnal prices and ordering:
Pre-orders for the pew edition of Glory to God will begin in 2012 with the following prices in effect:
· $15.00 for orders and payment received by June 1, 2013.
· $17.50 for orders placed by June 1, 2013, with payment due upon publication
· $20.00 for post-publication orders and payment
As a special incentive, all orders paid by December 31, 2012 will receive free shipping! This is a significant savings from an expected shipping cost of $1.00 per pew edition.
One free accompaniment edition will be given with every order of 40 hymnals. A second free accompaniment edition will be given with orders over 100 hymnals. There is a maximum of two free accompaniment editions per order.
Prices for the accompaniment, electronic, and large print editions will be released in January 2012. Information will also be available about imprinting personal information on the front cover.
In the meantime, congregations are beginning conversations about paying for this new resource. Here are a few ideas:
* Build this expense into the annual stewardship campaign.
* Invite individuals and families to purchase single copies in honor or memory of loved ones. This has historically been an easy and fast way of raising the necessary money.
* Host an evening “Sing for Your Supper”. Sell tickets for dinner and a congregational talent show, a hymn sing, or a special performance by the choir. Publicize within the local community.
* Sell the current hymnals to congregation members for a minimal cost.
Watch this blog and the Resources page on our website for more ideas and helpful planning tools. Coming soon: "Is This Congregation Ready For a New Hymnal" talk sheet, liturgies for retiring and welcoming congregatonal songbooks, and articles about the worship section of Glory to God.